Sunday, June 16, 2013

Last Blog Post (Reflection)

My last blog post, it seems just like yesterday I was posting my very first blog post. I've read so many books that were books I never thought I would never read. Books like Cleopatra’s Daughter and Lily of the Nile. By keeping up this blog, I learned that I like history books, books I never thought I could like since History isn't my best or favorite subject. I learned that even medical, or court books seem to interest me. I read books by Jodi Picoult, who writes mostly books about people suing friends or family about something serious, “wrongful-birth,” or rape and murder, anything like that.

A way this blog helped me benefit from was learn how I think about books. I mean, I sometimes only read books for fun, wanting ideas for my writing, or drawings. But I can also think “deep” into the book, I sometimes have trouble. This blog made me realize I should think deeper into a book, sure it’s fun reading about adventures  or stories where you think you know what’s going to happen, but then boom it changes into something else, or books that make you laugh or cry in the middle of class, but maybe it’ll help if I read deeper into the story, why the author put that scene specifically right there, what they want to say.

I feel though, if I write what I think the books mean online it’ll be different than to what I feel like if I write in my notebook. Online I feel like, I can say more, and people can read it more. In my notebook  I can keep it personal, people won’t be able to read it. But online, many people can read it, they can read what I think about a book. They can argue or agree with me, they can see which scenes that maybe I like, and they don’t like, or vice versa, I may see what verses they like and I hate, and maybe if they can convince me to like it. In my notebook, sure they could do the same thing, but they might not want to read my notebook, maybe online may suit them better. To me, online actually feels better to talk to, or read things.

Online you can be hidden, no one will know you’re hating on this, or liking this (if you don’t want them to know). You can say things that you’d never say to a person’s face. Say, they write a bad review about something. If they put in their notebook, you can be honest and say it was bad, or lie to them and say it was good. They can give you their notebook, and ask you to review, even if you know you don’t want to because it’s a bad entry. If the person gives you their notebook, they’ll know you reviewed it, and if they don’t like your comment, they could begin to hate you. But online, well sure they could ask you to review it, but you could do it hidden. You could write what you really think (Not hurting the person’s feelings, right?) and then maybe the criticism will help the person realize to make their review better.

Of course, you never really know. I mean sure you can post honestly or you can post something you’d never say to a person. You can tell them on their review, that you really don’t like their writing or something. You can be pure mean to them, like you always wanted to. Or you can be the sweet old self. Online, it seems like places like Facebook, or ask.fm, or maybe even twitter, that our online selves, they’re different from our true selves. Maybe they’re the best of us, the braver part of ourselves, to me it seems like it. I know “friends” that would inbox me of Facebook, telling me horrible things that I know they’d never tell me when I face them. They tell me how they cannot stand me, how we cannot be friends. But face-to-face I see how they ignore me, just pretending I’m not there. Maybe Online is a place that helps says what we wanna say. We know that face-to-face we cannot meet people in the eye, and say we don’t wanna be friends with them. In some cases this could be good. Instead of hurting you more by ignoring you so much, the person just says she doesn't want to be friends. But there was no way she could have done it in person, right? She may be a brave person, but in reality, she’s not. She’s afraid of the reaction you’ll physically have when she tells you she rather not be your friend. It’s the same with many people. The Internet gives us a boost in our bravery, I don’t know what, but it seems to. Obviously this can be bad, a little bit more bravery means you get the truth that you never wanted. But this can be good, you get the truth that you've always wanted, right?


The internet does display a person’s personalities, I mean they say things they wanna say, don’t they? They wouldn't really just say it because they need something to hurt, right? The internet may not display the best of us at all times, but it does display us, even if it’s the cold part of us, even if it’s the sweetest part of ourselves, it doesn't matter. The internet helps revel that part we want people to see-hoping or praying they'll see, or maybe that part that we don’t want people to see. It all just depends on your story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment