Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Poisonwood Bible

Angeles Martinez 
804
The Poisonwood Bible *Contains some spoilers*

I am currently reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, and before I get into details, I'm just gonna say: This. Is. An. Amazing. Book. It's long, yes, and it's taking me a while to read (Mostly cuz I'm a slow reader and I haven't had many chances to sit and read a lot. ;-; ) Basically, this is about a very-religious man, his wife, and four daughters going to Congo doing some missionaries things. The story is told from the mother's and four daughter's-Leah, Adah, Ruth May, and Rachel- point of view. 
Though, I wanna talk about something else, I can't help but say, I feel bad for the whole family. I mean, I can also feel bad for Nathan Price-the father, the guy who dragged his whole family to Congo. 
See, okay we'll start with Nathan and Orleanna-the mother and father of the girls. The couple used to be so happy, they used to be able to be like a regular family, but then it all changed when Nathan went to war, nearly died, and then came back. He was more religious. He felt like God was the only one that matter, and he was going to be ever grateful to him. He seemed happy being with his little God thing, while Orlenna, oh poor her, she lost her husband when he came back, and ended up losing herself, she had lost her "wings" and Nathan was now in charge, in possession, of her, she had no freedom she had described. Nathan was making her like a puppet, and she had no chance to stop being one unless...
Before I get into that, I'm going to put in why I feel bad for the girls. Rachel: She's the pretty one, she's used to living in Georgia, the place she lived in before, when she came to Congo, Leah had described that Rachel would have the hardest time adjusting since she was so used to living in the City. Leah and Adah: They're twins, they're super-smart, but since they're girl they can't really do any more than get a low education, and Leah, who adores her father, she's usually brought down by her father for being a girl. Adah, she's...crippled, she can't really move anywhere, she doesn't speak much. She's smart, but she has no voice, no wings, she's like her mother, a puppet, only having a free mind. Ruth-May: yes, she's the youngest, but she can adapt, honestly, I don't feel that bad for Ruth may, she can adapt to this place, the other girls really can't. 
What I feel that the author is saying here, is that everyone people have hard troubles, yes, but if you're being controlled by someone so in Love with God, someone who can't adapt to the place where you all slowly die since no one is really caring for Congo, since you're dying since your father is so knee in changing these people to love God, when they're getting super-sick with diseases like Malaria, and you can't be healed since the place doesn't have the right medicine. The girls and mother are striving, all because their husband and father just is so knee in changing the people who don't really seem want to believe in anything but their own Gods, and in their own ways. Really, Nathan, you're going to kill your own family...

No comments:

Post a Comment