Am I blue? By Bruce Coville
“Am I blue?” by Bruce Coville is a
short story about a high-school boy named Vince. Throughout the story Vince
basically has many problems that link back to one major question-is he gay?
Vince meets his ‘fairy Godfather’ Melvin after a bully named Butch Carrigan
beats him, who helps him figuring out if Vince is gay or straight-something he
has been trying to figure out for a year now. By helping him Melvin lets Vince
make 3 wishes, tells him about being gay in the world, and shows him that
Melvin isn’t afraid of being whom his is-being himself gay-and if the other
gays in the world were like that, no one would get beat up for it. ‘I walk and
talk the way I do because I’m not going to let anyone define me’ he says.
Melvin is basically one of the few gays who aren’t afraid to show who
they like, and he’s basically trying to teach Vince that throughout the story.
I feel like, though Melvin is not the main character of the story the author
uses him to pass on a message to the readers-especially those who are gay. It’s
okay to be gay; it’s okay to be ‘different.’ You just have to be brave enough
to show it to the rest of the world. In the story, Melvin says to Vince, ‘“If
gay people hadn’t been forced to hide for so long, if we could just openly
identify ourselves, there would be plenty of people you knew that you could ask
for advice. Everybody knows gay people; they just think they don’t.”’ If people
just stopped being bad to each other when they realize a person they know is
gay, then not many people are hurt. The author is trying to say this threw
Melvin, letting him be like yeah, I’m gay, I talk and act like this-so what?
The author is trying to say through Melvin, that people who are gay
shouldn’t be like, I’m not gay! Don’t hurt me! But instead be like, yeah,
I’m gay and proud of it-you have a problem with that?
And
although Melvin is trying to help Vince, Vince can’t help but be worried, he’s
been through a lot already trying to figure out if he’s gay or not, he doesn’t really
need to be seen with the people that others think are wrong. When they
meet Vince is like ‘”Are you making fun of me?” I asked. After Butch’s last
attack I had about enough of people calling me a fruit.’ But Melvin is like: ‘”Listen,
Honey, I have nothing but sympathy for you. I had to deal with my share of troglodytes
when I was your age, and know it’s not fun. I’m here to help.”’ The
author is showing through Melvin that people go through the same thing, weather
they believe or not, all may not be the same, some are. If people would just not be afraid to show
who they are, what they’ve been through, and what they think then maybe, just
maybe, others they know going through the same experience can help them. For
Vince it would help if people who think they’re gay or felt like
that before would just come out of their shell, stop being afraid of what
people say, they could help them like Melvin said: ‘”You may be, you may not
they point is, you’re getting picked on because people think you are.”’
All people have to do is think if they wanna hide from the world or be out
there. ‘”If you live in a world that keeps trying to grind you down, you either
start thumbing your nose at it or end up very, very short.”’ Melvin says this
to Vince, trying to see if he’ll stand up to the people hurting him, or just
let them hurt him.
Sure,
people, react to things differently, like some people may be all delighted
about a band-One Direction let’s say, and then others are just gonna be like, no!
I hate One Direction! In this case, like Melvin says, ‘”If a guy asks a
girl out for a date, about the worst that can happen is that she laughs at him.
If he asks another guy, he might get his face pounded in.”’ Due to people’s
reaction on things, others are afraid to say what they like. Like, in the One
Direction case, a person likes One Direction, but their friends are like no!
I hate them! If you like them…I swear…that’ll obviously make the person
feel like they should hate along with them, though they like One Direction.
It’s depending on how people react to if a person is gay, will the person go
out-the author is using Melvin for this. If people just stop hating gay people
and let them like what they like then people won’t be so afraid to let out what
they like.
Melvin
helps Vince see this by giving the ability of the gaydar. It would allow
Vince to see people in shades of blue, and depending on if they’re gay, kinda
gay, or straight they’re shade of blue will vary. If a person is a dark shade
of blue, then they’re gay or very close to it, but if one person is a light
shade of blue then they’re not really gay, they could be, but not like
the ones with dark shading. It’s basically depending on how much experience
they’ve had with it. Why would someone like something they don’t really know
about? Vince, as he sees, many people are some shade of blue, some dark, some
light, so he can easily see who’s gay and who’s not it-much. When Vince gets
home, he sees in a mirror that he’s a light shade of blue-so basically somewhat
gay, not completely committed but some. And because of that he feels very
scared about it, he thinks if Butch finds out then he’ll certainly get a
beating. Seeing this, Vince gets an
idea, a wish basically, to let others being able to have the gaydar in the
vision. It happens and soon people are on about what they see-what shade people
are and what it means. Because of this, Vince calls Melvin for his 3rd
wish-to make Butch blue so he won’t be able to hurt others again, since he’s
gay himself. But to this utter shock, Vince finds out that Butch is already
blue, so in the end, Vince wraps up the story saying he’s gonna save the wish,
waiting till he meets the person of his dreams, and when he really needs it.
The story “Am
I blue?” has really taught me a lot. It taught that people shouldn’t be afraid
of what they do for a living, they should be proud of it-like Melvin-they
shouldn’t be afraid of being hurt because they never know if the person hurting
them is like them-just hiding too. Vince may have not used his last wish, but
he did learn a lot of things, people are necessarily what they seem, like
Butch, and some people are exactly what they seem. People shouldn’t be afraid
of what they like, if they’re gay, then so be it. If they love One Direction
secretly they should show it, not be afraid, if they’re friends still hung out
with that person then they’re the true friends, and, hey, you never know, one
of your friends may be exactly what like you, hiding and not sure if they
should show it or not.
Some of this is very very good. Your next to last paragraph, though is almost all retelling!
ReplyDelete